Thursday, May 20, 2010

Nugget & Friends

My little nugget of a sister, Emily, is having her graduation party with two of her friends, Rianne and Quinn. We had a shoot a couple weeks ago with the intent of choosing a photo for their invitation. We did the entire shoot at my parents' house, and in the late afternoon sun, the lighting was perfect. I mean golden perfect. It didn't hurt to have three gorgeous girls as my subjects either. As I snapped, they laughed. And laughed. All attending different colleges in the fall, it's easy to see it's the simple happiness in their friendship that will keep them forever close at heart. And knowing them, they'll be texting one another sarcastic messages every day they're away.

I finally did a few things right on this shoot. Things I've been working on, but not quite achieving. The most obvious also makes me the happiest, because the effect is just so beautiful, when done correctly. When I first tried to backlight my subject a few weeks ago, I didn't expect it to be so tough. But between the light and the subject constantly moving, it was throwing me for a total loop! In the semi-shade of my parents' yard, all three girls were sitting on a stone ledge, and couldn't move locations, which allowed me to play until I finally got the shot! I will now be taking every subject, at every shoot, to my parents' yard, to sit on that very ledge. Kidding. Well, kinda.

Congrats to my baby seester, her friends, and Class of 2010. Y'all are a great bunch, even if you make me feel like I should be receiving my AARP card in the mail any day now!
College girls! OU, Maryland and Miami bound!

2 comments:

  1. GREAT shoot! You're right - even I want to take people to your parents' ledge for that awesome lighting! ;)

    ReplyDelete

The Life Behind the Lens

Followers