Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Bubbles

An older couple came into the office a couple of days ago, holding hands. Wait, that just doesn't say it. An absolutely adorrrrrable older couple came into the office a couple days ago. Holding hands. The sight was so sweet, my teeth started to ache. He held the door for her, and smiled, proudly, as he checked both of them in. They spoke sweetly to one another, as they sat, quietly, in the waiting room, magazines open on each of their laps, but much more invested in their conversation than reading material. They are what you hope you'll be like at age eighty. In love, happy, and presumably, the sweetest grandparents in the whole world. She wore her hair pulled back, a flower tucked on the side. He wore polished dress shoes. In their day, my guess is, they were real head-turners. When she spied a chain to attach to her glasses, for sale, at the counter, she dug into her purse and came up a few dollars short. My co-worker joked to him, She's always costing you money, isn't she? He thrust his hand into his pocket, pulled out his wallet, and with a wink and a smile, repiled, It's what I signed up for. My honey's worth it.

Sometimes your heart warms in such a way, that it bubbles over, and causes you to smile ear to ear. This happens in order to let some of the bubbles out. (Scientific, I know.) I wish I could have had snapped a photo of this storybook couple as they left our office, the same way they entered- he held the door for her, and took her hand once they were both outside. Since I was at work, and taking photos of patients may be considered a wee bit inappropriate, I, instead, chose a few photos that radiated beauty, just as they did.

My supportive husband dragged himself out of bed at 8am on Saturday morning to accompany me to Goodale Park to capture some morning light. Great way to start a weekend, if you ask me! My heart was full and bubbling with gratefulness for the little things. A sweet example of lifelong love. A tired, but smiling better half. A gorgeous morning. A feeling of joy that comes only from discovering what it is you were made to do.

Be glad of life; it gives you the chance to love, and to work, and to play, and to look at the stars. - Henry Van Dyke

2 comments:

  1. These are gorgeous, Katie! They make me want to wake up early and take my girls there to let them run and play (too bad that would be one heck of a drive)! GREAT captures! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. aw, katie... i love this blog! i especially love your last sentence. i'm so excited for you!!

    ReplyDelete

The Life Behind the Lens

Followers