Friday, March 19, 2010

Material Girl

So. It's really hard not to love things when you are into photography. And by things, I mean lenses and software, and filters and tripods, and light meters and flashes. Flashes. Something I, blindly, never thought I'd care the slightest bit about. I LOVE natural light. I love soft natural light. I love soft, creamy natural light. Even the word FLASH sounded harsh to my ears. However, it soon became apparent that my camera bag was in need of a harsh new friend. Maybe one that just flat tells it like it is.


Let me the first to admit how wrong I was to have prematurely judged the whole flash business. My nemesis has become my saving grace. I've seen the light! ...Catch that? I literally saw the light. I know, don't quit my day job, right? Anyway, I bought my external flash last weekend, and it has become my baby. Photo ops that I, subconsciously, was writing off, I am now seeking out. I'm starting to take variations of similar shots and to put it simply, HAVING FUN!


After looking at a few different models, I chose the Promaster 7500EDF. The Promaster is an extremely versatile brand that can be used on digital, or 35mm cameras, so yes! Nikon and Canon users can unite over this one. The Nikon brand flashes I'd been looking at are pretty pricey; Promaster is a little easier on your checkbook, and both do, virtually, the same thing. The only drawback is that if I ever got really into indoor studio photography, where I'd have a few flashes surrounding my subject, and I needed to be able to control them wirelessly, I couldn't. However, this is a five hundred dollar difference I'm willing to live without. For now. While still denting your wallet ever so slightly, it's definately been a good purchase, and one I can justify, having seen the results.


My dad has two new associates at his practice, and in introducing them to our patients and community, we launched a website. The website needed photos. Enter, me. Hey, Dad! Over here! Picture me waving, wildly, in my father's face. Of course he wanted me to do the honors. Anything to support his little girl's dream! After purchasing my flash, I was able to shoot in their somewhat dark exam rooms, next to the equipment. This would have been utterly impossible without it. And while I'm still aspiring to be more of a natural light photographer, I now view my flash not as a crutch, but as an enhancement, helping me to achieve a more polished, professional look.


Here are a few portraits from our shoot. You can also check them out on my dad's website! Once everything blooms, we'll be adding some outdoor shots of the office itself. But we are good to go, for now!




World's BEST dad right here:

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Life Behind the Lens

Followers